Sunday 4 November 2012

Small steps & Giant leaps

So, yesterday it was time to re-test myself on one of my Benchmark conditioning sessions, running up Tunnel mountain.  A 2.3km trail, elevating 240m (790 ft) to the 1,690m (5,540 ft) summit.



Last time (just over 2 weeks ago) I reached the summit in 20min 25 sec.
This time the path was still a bit icy from some recent snow fall, admittedly I wasn't carrying the Camelbak belt that I had last time but that wasn't of any significant weight, It felt as hard as the first time I ran it but I really thought I was moving slower this time. I deliberately didn't check my stopwatch until I was almost at the top and I was shocked when I made it to the summit in 17min 50 sec.

Needless to say I was very happy with this improvement.  Taking 2min 35 sec off my previous time (over 10%) is a substantial improvement in just over 2 weeks.  Now some of that improvement may be down to adjusting to the elevation here in Banff and the second attempt at any particular conditioning workout usually yield pretty good gains but I am still happy with this achievement.
It will be very interesting to see how I do on my third attempt.  All I can do is train hard and see.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Today I adjusted my strength training, after about 4 rotations through my high rep cycle I have moved my rep range down to around 10 reps, adjusting the weight used accordingly.

1. BB Hang Power Snatch + 2 Overhead squats 4 x 3 (about 45kg)

2. Deadlifts 4 x 10 (100kg)

3a. BB Push press 3 x 10 (about 55kg)
3b. Assisted one arm Pull-ups 3 x 10 per side (broken sets)

4a. Symmetrical Deadbugs 3 x 30 sec per side
4b. 1 DB overhead holds (w/ Lats activated) 3 x 30 sec per side (about 20kg)

Really good session, I definitely want to dedicate more time to the symmetrical Deadbugs and overhead holds, they were both recommended to me by my Osteopath and when done correctly they really challenged me.  If people are interested then drop a comment and I will post a video on them.

Train hard, live happy.
Bradbury

No comments:

Post a Comment