Sunday 23 December 2012

Getting it done!

So the training continued in the seconds part of this week.

Thursday 20th December:
I got home from a full day at work and was pretty tired.  I realised that I needed to spend some time at home with my girlfriend, so going to the gym wasn't really a viable or attractive option.

But I don't like giving up!

Achieving something great is about consistent hard work.  Small choices add up and make a big difference.  I had planned to do a conditioning session that day and I didn't want to let that slip by.
It was going to be hard to satisfy all demand on my time, especially considering my low energy levels.

'Today I will do what others won't, so Tomorrow I can achieve what others can't' - Jerry Rice

I love this quote.  I love the satisfaction of pushing myself and staying committed to achieving something. And when others around me are being flaky, it drives me on even more.  I don't consider myself anything special but there are physical acts which I can do that others can't.  I haven't been particularly genetically gifted, I have just worked hard and consistently and the results come in time.

So when it came to doing my conditioning session I used what I had:
A bit of space in my bedroom (probably about 3x8 foot) and my own body.

I went for 30 seconds flat out on each exercise:
- Burpees (full, not sprawl)
- Split jumps
- Press ups
- Burpees (as above)
- Star jumps
- Bodyweight squats

30 seconds rest between rounds
x 4 rounds total

Then,

Tabata intervals (20 sec work, 10 sec rest) repeated for 6 minutes total of:
- BJJ triangle mime drill
- V-ups

It wasn't the perfect workout by far but it was a lot better than giving in to the situation and just sitting on my arse.  My girlfriend was sat right on the bed beside me so I didn't have to spend time apart from her even.

I have said it before but it really is true.  THERE IS ALWAYS SOMETHING YOU CAN DO!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

Friday 21st December:
Strength

1) Hang power Snatch x 3 + Overhead squats x 1  x 3 sets (45-50kg)

2) Deadlifts 4 x 6-8  (8 reps@115kg / 3x6 reps@120kg)

3a) Planche practice 4 x (5x2 sec)
3b) Symmetrical Deadbug 3 x 30 sec per side

4a) BB Overhead press 3 x 6-8 (50kg-47.5kg)
4b) Wide grip Pull ups 3 x 8

5a) Straddle L (one hand centre) 3 x 5 sec per side
5b) Handstand practice 3 x max

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Saturday 22nd December:
Rest Day

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Sunday 23rd December:
Strength

1) Hang power clean 3 x 4

2) Front Squats 4 x 6-8  (8@70kg + 6,7,6@74kg)

3a) Back Levers (flat tuck from bar) 4 x (5x2 sec)
3b) Front Levers (straddle from bar) 4 x (5x2 sec)

4a) Dips 3 x 6-8  with additional 30-35lbs
4b) Bent over rows 3 x 6-8  (70kg)

5a) Barbell Landmines 3 x 6-8 per side (Olympic bar + 15kg)
5b) Straddle L (on box, straight but low legs) 3 x max


Well, Christmas is coming now.
I hope to be back in the gym on 26th.  I am having a couple of days off to enjoy the season (though I am working 6am-12pm on Christmas day).  I'm going to be eating a lot of food but trying to keep it as healthy as possible.

As promised before, details of a new training phase will be coming along in January so keep the blog bookmarked on your browser.

Until then, Merry Christmas, enjoy!

Train hard, live happy
Bradbury

No comments:

Post a Comment