Sunday 9 December 2012

Patience & Reward

Hi Guys & Girls.

Very interesting week.  After my last post on discipline I set off with renewed determination to my training.

Tuesday 4th Dec:
Strength
1) BB Hang Power Snatch + Hang Snatch 3+1 / 2+1 / 1+1 / 1 (Hang Snatch)
   - Basically on the last rep of each set I would descend into the full overhead squat, snatch receive position.

2) Deadlift 4 x 6-8  (actually achieved 8,7,7,5) @ 115kg

3a) L-sit to Handstand (attempted) 3 x 5
3b) 1 DB Windmills 3 x 8 per side (40lb)

4) L-Sit to headstand to Reverse leg lift 1 x 5 - Cheeky little complex gymnastic movement here, I may post a video soon as its a nice little move, I was just playing around with it here.

5a) Around the world Pull ups 3 x 8  - Start from a deadhang, the wider your grip the more challenging, pull your body up to one side (or one hand), then move your body straight along the bar to the other hand without lowering, then lower back down to the middle.  Repeat the other way.
5b) BB Push press 3 x 6-8 (50kg-55kg)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Wednesday 5th Dec:
Strength
1) Power Clean x 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 (60kg-70kg)

2) Front Squat 4 x 6-8  (actually achieved 8, 7, 7, 7) @ 70kg

3a) Planche practice (flat tuck) 4 x (5x2 sec)
3b) L / Y / W / T shoulder exercises 4 x 15 reps each

4a) One arm Press ups 3 x 8 per side
4b) One arm DB rows 3 x 8 per side (95-100lbs)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Thursday 6th Dec:
My Birthday!

So before work I managed 1 hour of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu training with a friend.
Otherwise it was a rest day.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

And that is where is all started to go a bit down hill.

Unfortunately on Thursday night I went down with a stinker of a cold / mild flu which over the last few days has settled on my chest causing me to not be able to elevate my breathing without suffering painful coughing fits.  (probably not helped by working outdoors in temperatures down to -15 C)
A lot of people working on the ski resort have come down with similar illness's (one even being diagnosed with Bronchitis).

However...there is always something you can do.

So, despite the fact that I have been finding this very infuriating I have been staying focused on the elements that will enable me to make as quick of a recovery as possible while losing as little ground as possible training wise.  Principally this has been down to nutrition and rest.

I have trying to focus my energy on regular eating, balanced meals with as much veg, healthy fats and lean protein as possible.  I've tried to keep my hydration levels up (pee should be clear) and avoided alcohol.
The problem is, as stated above, it was my Birthday this week which means there has been all kinds of temptations: chocolate cake, going out for drinks, sweets and other things which when enjoyed in balance (and small quantities) can be fine but when trying to recover from a nasty illness they should be avoided at all costs.  My staff allowance of one hot drink a day at work has been changed from a salt and sugar laden hot chocolate to green tea.

I am not trying to blow my own trumpet here, the point I'm trying to make is that we are all going to have set backs, mine happened to be this illness.  Some will be fleeting and some will be a longer road to recovery. But you must try not to lose hope and give into despair.  Don't throw away all of your hard work and dedication, THERE IS ALWAYS SOMETHING YOU CAN DO!

“Many of life’s failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.” - Thomas Edison


On this theme I am please to announce that my home club of Carlson Gracie Camberley had their annual grading on Friday night.  Several members of the team received new belts (and the whipping that goes with them).  I think pretty much every one of these guys has had set backs through illness, injury and issues in their personal lives which have threatened to impact upon their training.  But they have carried on with patience and dedication to their goal.  For some it has taken years to earn their new belts, they have had high's and low's and they are far from finished on their journeys but they act as the perfect illustration of staying focused to achieving a goal.  Congratulations guys, you know who you are!

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” - Thomas Edison

Daniel Commane's the day after receiving his Purple belt, and the whipping that comes with it.

So, I am going to keep resting up, trying my best to avoid the lure of chocolate and junk food not matter how comforting it might seem.  Training will resume when I am full recovered but the blog will continue.

Train hard, live happy
Bradbury

No comments:

Post a Comment