Monday 29 April 2013

Strong Will

Hi Guys & Girls,

Hope you are having a good time in life, training hard and enjoying yourself.

Unfortunately shit happens! Life isn't always fair and for anyone who enjoys an active lifestyle and/or competes in a sport, possibly one of the most challenging things to deal with is a major injury.

In my work as a trainer and my time training Brazilian Jiu Jitsu I have seen friends, clients and team mates suffer and fight back from some huge injuries.  Firstly I would like to dedicate this post to them.  Not only have they fought back through the physical pain of injury but also the mental anguish.  Wondering if you will ever get back to where you were, seeing other people enjoying activity and team mates progressing and getting better.

It is hard to deal with and I want to say to those whom I have seen pull through it (or who are still getting through it), you inspire me.  Keep at it!

I am not sure that there is one specific way to get through an injury, I think it is probably unique to each person and their situation.  However one thing that helps is having a strong will.  That desire to carry on because, well, what else are you going to do? Quit!? No!
I know that some people reading this will think:
'I don't know if I have a strong Will, I'm not sure I could get through something like that.'

Well, I don't think you really know what kind of will you have until it is tested.  There are many people out there who have faced these sorts of trails and didn't know if they could make it through, but they did!
One day at a time, drawing on the strength they found around them, they did!
Hardship, like dealing with a major injury, can forge an iron will in anyone.

Below is a video about a guy called Zach Krych, it's a great piece and well worth a watch.  You might not have an injury now, you might never have suffered from one but it could happen in the future, and seeing Zach's strong will might give you the strength you need, if the time comes.


What the video doesn't show (though I am willing to bet they happened) is the times when Zach was furious with anger, frustrated at his situation and desperate to the point of almost giving up.  This happens to people when they are torn away from something they love by injury.  But it isn't an ending, it is only temporary and despite what people around you might recommend or experts might say, if you want to achieve something, keep trying!
That's what Zach did.

'Difficulties strengthen the mind, as labour does the body' - Seneca

Train hard, live happy
Bradbury

No comments:

Post a Comment